In order to achieve their full potential, students need help and encouragement from family members, guardians, and other members of their support systems. By participating in school events and teacher conferences, engaging in homework, and seeking out opportunities to help students grow, support systems provide the right environment for kids to thrive. When members of a student’s support system are partners in the educational journey, teachers are best positioned to help that student achieve at high levels.
To promote family engagement, WRNJ advocates for:
- Families and guardians taking responsibility to engage with teachers and school staff as partners in their children’s education, and educators in turn creating open and welcoming environments with flexible opportunities for engagement;
- Initiatives that educate student supporters to understand our state’s grade level expectations, to effectively interpret a variety of assessment information, and to know the right questions to ask teachers and administrators about a student’s academic progress;
- Timely, understandable state test score results and reports; and
- Policies that promote districts sharing student achievement information with families and other student supporters in a clear and timely way and provide opportunities for questions and answers.
Resources for Parents and Families
- The Learning Heroes site provides many resources to help families understand and actively engage in their student’s education.
- The New Jersey PTA supports parent-teacher partnerships to advocate for student success.
- Check out this article and infographic from the Data Quality Campaign showing how parents want to better understand data about their children’s learning and school progress.
- View this video explaining the use of data in the classroom for parents and families.
- See resources from the U.S. Department of Education on family engagement.
Resources for Educators
- See resources from the NJ Department of Education on how schools can engage families.
- See this Learning Heroes guide on how state and district leaders can best engage with families.
Hear what coalition member and Newark parent Tafshier Cosby has to say about family engagement in student success: