Preparing all students to #GraduateReadyNJ means using all available information to form a full picture of each student’s needs so that we can support them on their path to success. Teachers and parents get information about how students are doing in school from many different sources. From classroom assignments, tests, and grades to portfolios, conferences, and even anecdotes and stories, each source is important on its own but even more powerful when taken together. We know that no one score, work product, or opinion can tell us all that we need to know. That’s why We Raise NJ is advocating for as many quality sources of robust, meaningful student data as possible. And when educators, parents, and higher education and business leaders work together to use information about student progress to develop supports and programs tailored to student needs, everyone benefits.
There’s good news to report. The latest statewide assessment scores reveal that students and educators across New Jersey are rising to the challenge of higher academic standards and building year-over-year on the impressive progress they’ve made. And we acknowledge the countless hours dedicated educators have spent to improve instruction, using more and better sources of information about each individual student than ever before. We must all work together to build on this progress for every New Jersey student.
Resources for Educators
- Check out the state Achievement Coaches resources, which include professional learning modules on using information on student progress.
- See the NJDOE’s web page on the state assessment program.
- See NJDOE resources for districts on the PARCC exam.
- See the September 2017 State Board of Education presentation on recent PARCC results and the tremendous growth of Beverly City school district.
- See how seven New Jersey Lighthouse Districts are using information on student progress to drive student growth.
- Read about one teacher’s approach to challenging students to improve on classroom assessments.
Resources for Parents and Families
- Check out ways to support your students’ success on the test from Learning Heroes – tailored specifically for NJ!
- See the newly-released 2016-17 School Performance Reports with new information and a parent-friendly summary page.
- Access state report cards for each school and district to see how students are performing.
- See the most recent statewide assessment results.
- We Raise NJ created these Questions to Ask Your Child’s Teacher About PARCC Results.
- The New Jersey Student Learning Standards page links to all the standards along with several resources to help parents understand the academic benchmarks and help students reach them.
- See NJDOE resources for families on the PARCC exam.
- The Learning Heroes site provides many resources to help families understand and actively engage in their student’s education.
In the News
- Read this recent op-ed on how NJ students are rising to the challenge of high expectations and making academic gains.